Another one pot wonder! A great dish for working parents or time poor parents in general. Pop a few things in your slow cooker in the morning and come home to a hot meal and your home smelling incredible!
I made a few changes to the original recipe by http://www.mylovelylittlelunchbox.com.au.
2 tablespoons plain flour (I used gluten free flour)
sea salt and pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chop or dice
2 carrots, chop or dice
2 celery stalks, chop or dice
400 grams mushrooms, chop or dice
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 heaped tablespoons tomato paste
500 ml beef bone broth or good quality beef stock
670 ml tomato passata
Pasta of choice – we used quinoa and rice pasta shells.
Fresh parsley and parmesan, to serveMethod
- Place the osso buco onto a plate, season with sea salt and pepper and dust with flour to coat. Heat a fry pan over high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Carefully add the osso bucco in a single layer and brown on both sides (approx. 5 minutes). Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and add the onion, carrot, celery, mushroom and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent and the vegetables are tender.
- Turn slow cooker on low. Put vegetable mix, osso bucco, beef bone broth/stock, tomato paste, tomato passata, bay leaves and oregano in slow cooker.
- Pop the lid on and cook for approx 5-6 hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Use two fork to shred the tender beef, make sure you scoop the marrow out of bone and combine, it’s nutrient rich!
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, season with sea salt and cook pasta of choice according to packet instructions. Drain and return to pot. Add a cup or two of the osso buco ragu to the pappardelle and gently stir to combine. Add a handful of parsley and a generous grating of parmesan.
Photo credit @mylovelylittlelunchbox