This bread isn’t overly sweet, not like your typical banana bread but it really hit the spot for me.
My son who is a little more fussy balked at it but when I spread some ‘Yummee Gluten Free’ cacao, date and cashew nut butter he was more interested!
Amaranth is gluten free, high in fibre and provide a rich source of minerals including iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium
½ cup mixed raw and unsalted nuts
2 cups amaranth flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 apple, sliced
3 cups apple, cored and cut into cubes
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, add the apple and water, cook for 5-7 minutes until soft, puree.
3. Process the nuts in a blender until coarsely ground.
4. Add the flour, baking soda, cubed apple, oil, agave/honey, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
5. Pour into a greased 9×5″ loaf pan or 2 7×3″ pans lined with baking paper, top mixture with sliced apple and bake for 60 minutes or until cooked.
6. Let it cool and serve.